Monday 27 February 2012

Bordeaux No No

Cash has been pretty tight lately but that hasn’t put a damper on my intrepid enthusiasm for wine. However, I have had to limit my allowance to a paltry $10 to $15. So the other day I could not pass up the chance to buy a Bordeaux for only $10.95! Chateau De Courteillac was the winery and I will keep that in mind the next time I select a bottle of wine. 
I was a little skeptical of its quality as I have seen more than my fair share of Bordeaux for upwards of $30. On account of the price I was not expecting anything spectacular but still a decent tasting wine. No doubt I finished the bottle off but it was not all that enjoyable. The back label suggested that it be served chilled but I've always been an advocate of drinking red wine at room temperature. My scientific background kicked in and I decided to preform an experiment.
After tasting the wine at both room and fridge temperatures I was still undecided as to which state I preferred. The room temperature glass definitely held much more flavour, had a longer finish and was dry. The chilled glass was more fruity but no flavours lingered on the tongue which is my favourite part of drinking a great wine. Looking back on it after a couple days I could not even describe the flavour to you. It was not memorable. If not for my tasting notes I could not give a proper review of this wine.
All in all it wasn't a horrible wine, however, I don't see myself buying it again any time soon. I think it was the fact that I had such high expectations for the wine on account that it was a Bordeaux which made it so disappointing when the flavours just didn't hold up.
This small mishap has by no means turned me off Bordeaux or French wine but has just opened my eyes to the lesser quality vintages that are out there. I will no doubt be looking for a better Bordeaux but still at a decent price. 
If you've tried this wine before and had a different experience, by all means let me know. Also, I would be more than happy to learn about other Bordeaux that you have tried that are worth trying. Cheers!



No comments:

Post a Comment