Thursday 15 March 2012

Sauvignon Blanc

After two months of living in Ottawa with no luck of finding a job, my girlfriend and I have found our way back to Niagara Falls. That means living with our parents again, which isn't all bad. My parents have accumulated quite an impressive cellar of fine wine over the last few years, many of which will we be tasting over the month of March. Another advantage of living with my mother is that she likes to cook and try new recipes, which I am a huge fan of.
So tonight for dinner we are having scallops and snow peas with a creamy white sauce over basmati rice. The dish became a favourite in our family after the first time my mother made it. As this is a seafood dish we like to pair it with an elegant white wine, preferably a Sauvignon Blanc or a Riesling. Tonight we will be drinking a Kim Crawford 2010 Sauvignon Blanc. 
The Kim Crawford winery is located in Marlborough, New Zealand. I was excited to give it a try since I had never tasted any of their wine before, let alone any wine produced in New Zealand. I must say that it made a good first impression.
Naturally, we opened the bottle before we started cooking to give it a taste test. Right away you can smell how minerally the wine is. The bouquet is packed with citrus fruit and peach aromas. On the palate, I tasted a light pineapple flavour that was followed by citrus and tropical fruits. The wine is fairly acidic but is pleasant all the same. I already know that the acidity will work well with the creamy sauce in the scallop dish.



No comments:

Post a Comment